I’ve interviewed for tons of jobs over the years. One thing that always tripped me up was the simplest of questions:
“Do you have any questions for me?”Hiring Manager
Oftentimes, they do cover the questions I have going into the interview. But, it’s always nice to have other options to fall back on when you’re in the heat of the moment.
Here are 50 options for you to consider when your go-to won’t suffice.
By the by, mine is always “what’s the dress code?” as I often worked in uniformed corporate environments. I now refuse to work anywhere that I can’t wear jeans in!
A great resource is Alison Green’s Ask a Manager blog. Her book is a great starting off point to get into her style.
Feel free to bookmark this post and come back to it when you need it.
- What are the day-to-day responsibilities of the job will be—now and in the future?
- What are the most immediate projects that need to be addressed?
- Can you show me examples of projects I’d be working on?
- What are the skills and experiences you’re looking for in an ideal candidate?
- What attributes does someone need to have in order to be successful in this position?
- What types of skills is the team missing that you’re looking to fill with a new hire?
- What are the biggest challenges that someone in this position would face?
- Is this a new role that has been created?
- Do you expect the main responsibilities for this position to change in the next six months to a year?
- How will I be trained?
- What training programs are available to your employees?
- Are there opportunities for advancement or professional development?
- Would I be able to represent the company at industry conferences?
- Where is the last person who held this job moving on to?
- Where have successful employees previously in this position progressed to?
- What are the most important things you’d like to see someone accomplish in the first 30, 60, and 90 days on the job?
- What are the performance expectations of this position over the first 12 months?
- What is the performance review process like here? How often would I be formally reviewed?
- What are the metrics or goals to hit for positive performance evaluation?
- How long have you been with the company?
- Has your role changed since you’ve been here?
- What did you do before this?
- Why did you come to this company?
- What’s your favorite part about working here?
- I’ve read about the company’s founding, but can you tell me more about _?
- Where do you see this company in the next few years?
- What can you tell me about your new products or plans for growth?
- What are the current goals that the company is focused on, and how does this team collaborate to support hitting those goals?
- What gets you most excited about the company’s future?
- Can you tell me about the team I’ll be working with?
- Who will I work with most closely?
- Who will I report to directly?
- Can you tell me about my direct reports? What are their strengths and the team’s biggest challenges?
- Do you expect to hire more people in this department in the next six months?
- Which other departments work most closely with this one?
- What are the common career paths in this department?
- Is the office buttoned-up conservative or a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of place? Learn the subtle, but oh-so-important, aspects of company culture.
- What are the company and team culture like?
- How would you describe the work environment here—is the work typically collaborative or more independent?
- Can you tell me about the last team event you did together?
- What’s your favorite office tradition?
- What do you and the team usually do for lunch?
- Does anyone on the team hang out outside the office?
- Do you ever do joint events with other companies or departments?
- What’s different about working here than anywhere else you’ve worked?
- How has the company changed since you joined?
- Is there anything that concerns you about my background being a fit for this role?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- Is there anything else I can provide you with that would be helpful?
- Can I answer any final questions for you?